User experience (UX) designers add necessary perspective and skills to early-stage companies, which are often overweighted with technical and business expertise. UX designers’ aptitude for considering holistic systems, desire to understand human motivations, visual thinking superpowers, and dedication to validated learning make them valuable early hires for startups. Increasingly, designers are taking more strategic roles at early-stage companies, but founders with a background in design are still relatively rare.
Watch this presentation to hear me talk about:
- Why I joined Brooklyn Copper Cookware
- Ways my UX career prepared me to be a designer founder
- Consultant thinking versus owner thinking
- What it means to be a design-led company
- Examples of UX practices used at Brooklyn Copper Cookware